Help support the historic movement of pro se homeowners and tenants fighting illegal foreclosure and eviction in the Massachusetts Court System! The Massachusetts Alliance Against Predatory Lending (MAAPL) is a nonprofit coalition of 70+ member and endorsing organizations: housing counseling agencies, legal services groups, social service agencies, and community-based social action groups, cooperating to reverse the ongoing foreclosure crisis in Massachusetts by means of:
- Litigation – Developing materials for the use of pro se litigants fighting for their homes
- Foreclosure Rights education for homeowners and tenants and educating the public about the foreclosure crisis
- Legislative initiatives
- Community Organizing of tenants, homeowners, and allies.
MAAPL seeks a part- to full-time Paralegal under the supervision of MAAPL’s statewide Coordinator and our attorneys to work shoulder-to-shoulder with homeowners and tenants fighting illegal foreclosures in parallel with related community organizing.
This position also requires project management skills, including online tracking, management of hard copy materials, and efficient production of pleadings. As a very small operation, administrative and tracking functions are necessarily shared. This position would require some leadership in those areas.
You will assist with intakes, research law, help revise our pro se litigants’ template, help prepare impact litigation at the state and—eventually—national level, provide instructional information and on-line template legal materials as well as coordinate their posting with the tech team, and collaborate with member organizations to ensure assistance for pro se homeowners.
You should be a self-starter, able to work effectively both independently and with a team, and committed to serving pro se homeowners with patience, including those in crisis or with limited English. Responsibilities include educating pro se homeowners and tenants regarding their rights. Some work meetings are in Worcester, working remotely is negotiable (and preferred for the vast majority of time during the COVID pandemic).
The successful applicant will be:
- A multi-tasker and voracious learner comfortable working in a fast-paced, nonprofit organization;
- Interested in learning applicable law and providing litigation support to pro se homeowners, and (ideally) experienced in helping non-lawyers learn relevant law.
- Able to draft and update legal template documents such as motions, complaints, and other documents as well as to research and support the production of legal briefs; and
- Reliable at organization and attention to detail on a deadline.
Preference given to candidates who have dealt with foreclosure in their own lives;
- Education: Paralegal certification or comparable experience;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proficiency in conducting internet legal research;
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps;
- Ability and willingness to assume increasingly more complex tasks and short-term projects;
- Additional language(s) to English a plus.
- Comfort with online word processing, listserves, project management tools.
- Administrative and project management efficiency.
- Demonstrated commitment to nonprofit work and opposing injustice!
For more information about MAAPL and our work, please visit our website at www.maapl.info
To apply for this position, please submit a resume, 3 references and a 3-page writing sample by email to Grace Ross, Coordinator, at MAAPLInfo@yahoo.com or by fax to 508-630-1686.
Position open immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but you are encouraged to apply by January 11th, 2021.
The Mass Alliance Against Predatory Lending is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status, or to other non-work related factors.
Organizing, Advocating, and Educating— When We Fight, We Win!