Help support the historic movement of pro se homeowners and tenants fighting illegal foreclosure and eviction in the Massachusetts Court System! The Massachusetts
Alliance Against Predatory Lending (MAAPL) is a non-profit coalition of 70+ member
and endorsing organizations (housing counseling agencies, legal services groups, social
service agencies, and community-based social action groups) cooperating to reverse the
on-going foreclosure crisis in Massachusetts by means of:
Legislative initiatives, litigation, developing materials for the use of pro se litigants fighting for their homes, Foreclosure Rights education for homeowners and tenants, educating the public about the foreclosure crisis, and Community Organizing of tenants, homeowners and allies.
MAAPL seeks a part- to full-time Paralegal under the supervision of MAAPL’s statewide
Coordinator and our attorneys to work shoulder-to-shoulder with homeowners and
tenants fighting illegal foreclosures in parallel with related community organizing.
You will assist with intakes, research law, help revise pro se litigants’ template, help
prepare impact litigation at the state and—eventually—national level, provide and
coordinate with tech team instructional information and on-line template legal
materials, and collaborate with member organizations to ensure assistance for pro se
You should be a self-starter, able to work effectively both independently and with a
team, and committed to serving pro se homeowners with patience, including those in
crisis or with limited English. Responsibilities include educating pro se homeowners
and tenants regarding their rights. Some work meetings are in Worcester; working
remotely is negotiable.
The successful applicant will be:
• A multi-tasker and voracious learner comfortable working in a fast-paced, non-profit
• Interested in learning applicable law and providing litigation support to pro se
homeowners, and ideally experienced in helping non-lawyers learn relevant law;
• Able to draft and update legal template documents such as motions, complaints, and
other documents as well as to research and support the production of legal briefs;
• Reliable at organization and attention to detail on a deadline.
Preference given to candidates who have dealt with foreclosure in their own lives.
• Education: Paralegal certification or comparable experience;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Proficiency in conducting internet research;
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps;
• Ability and willingness to assume increasingly more complex tasks and short-term
• Additional language(s) to English a plus.
• Demonstrated commitment to nonprofit work and opposing injustice!
For more information about MAAPL, visit www.maapl.info
Submit your resume and a 3-page writing sample by email to Grace Ross, Coordinator, at MAAPLInfo@yahoo.com or by fax to 508-630-1686.
Position open immediately and until filled, but candidates are encouraged to submit their application by August 10, 2018.
The Massachusetts Alliance Against Predatory Lending is an Equal Opportunity and
Affirmative Action Employer, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals
without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, age, disability or veteran status, or to other non-work related factors.
Organizing, Advocating, and Educating—When We Fight, We Win!